Our History

 

A Brief History of First United Methodist Church, Lindstrom, MN

 

In 1858 a small group of Swedish immigrants to the Chisago Lake area attended Methodist worship services in the cabin of one Anders Svensson in what is now Center City. About a dozen families comprised the congregation. The group had met for some years in one another’s homes. In the summer of 1858 a camp meeting, or religious gathering, lasting several days took place on the shores of Chisago Lake in what is now Lindstrom. One of the several preachers, Pastor C.P. Agrelius, met with the settlers to form a Methodist society or class, which was the beginning of an organized congregation. The congregation sought a suitable site to erect a church. Luckily, Andrew Swenson, one of the charter members (first known as Anders Svensson) owned property in Center City. For five dollars the congregation purchased land from Andrews and his wife Catharina. The deed was dated December 28, 1858. By the summer of the next year a log cabin church had been built.

 

By the summer of 1859, the newly organized congregation of Methodists had built a log cabin church on the peninsula of land between several lakes, which we now call North Center, North Lindstrom and Pioneer Lake. Carl Petter Agrelius, the first pastor, originally a Lutheran, had been sent from Norway to minister to Norwegian settlers in Wisconsin. After arriving in New York in 1848, he was befriended by a Methodist, Olof Hedstrom, and was soon converted to Methodism. He was sent to various places to minister to Scandinavian emigrants, serving the Wisconsin St. Paul, also. While he held this position he became acquainted with Methodists in the Chisago Lake area and Washington county. His efforts had led to the organization of a Methodist Episcopal congregation in Center City and church construction. His advanced age (60) prevented him from staying to see the church dedicated. He retired to Marine Township. The new church contained living quarters which the next pastor, C.F. Lindquist, occupied with his wife and three young children.
 
According to the 125th Anniversary History, by 1892 the Center City Church had become too old and too small. Besides, the population center had moved to Lindstrom rather than Center City, so the church congregation hoped for a great future in Lindstrom and moved there.

 

“In the fall of 1891, O.J. Stead had become the pastor of the church and served two years. It fell to his lot to have charge of the enterprise of building the Lindstrom church. A subscription amounting to $800 was raised and the lot on which the church stood was purchased. Work on the new church building progressed nicely and on October 2, 1892, the church was dedicated to the service of Almighty God. On the day of dedication there was a debt of only $250.”

A parsonage was built in 1894. The steeple was added in 1903. Extensive remodeling, including the construction of a basement took place in 1912.

 

Ten years after the centennial celebration, First United Methodist Church moved into a new brick, wood, and glass church that is today, when including the parsonage constructed in 1956, worth more than one million dollars. The church building near North Center Lake on Third Avenue North and Irene was finished at a cost of $268,000. Furnishings and extras brought the cost to $285,000. Consecration services were held on November 20, 1968, with bishop Paul Washburn conducting the services. Taking part in the services were the Rev. Paul Metzger, District Superintendent, and the Rev. John C. Blackford, Pastor.
 
Source: Emigrants at Worship: 125 Years of Chisago Lake Methodism (1983) by Robert Porter

 

 

 

 

First United Methodist Church – 30828 Irene Ave Lindstrom, MN (Current Church; 2024)